Friday, March 04, 2011

First Batch of Fermented Veggies!

Starting a batch of fermented veggies today. It's going to be hard waiting the 3-6 days to taste them! Here's a picture of what they look like in the jar along with the ingredients.
In case ya'all don't know, fermented veggies are one of the best sources of probiotics you can get. They aid in digestion and help create good flora in your intestinal tract. Also, it's said that they help boost your immune system! Some common ferments are sauerkraut, kimchi and rejuvelac. (a fermented beverage made with wheat berries or rye) Almost any vegetable can be fermented as long as you have a base of cabbage which contains the needed bacteria for fermentation or a probiotic starter powder. Or you can start a new batch with some of the brine from the old batch kind of like a sourdough or yogurt starter.

Ingredients in this batch:
  • sea salt
  • 1 small head of cabbage
  • 6 small carrots
  • 1 granny smith apple
  • 1/2 a medium onion
  • 1 small green pepper
  • 1 tsp. whole fennel seed
  • 1 tsp. whole mustard seed
  • 1/8 tsp. red pepper flakes
  • 1/4 tsp. whole peppercorns
  • 4 small garlic cloves
Mary at Raw Food Rehab warned me about using too much fennel and recommended only 1 teaspoon because seeds and dried spices tend to get much stronger in the fermenting process.  I used only 1 teaspoon but once I started mixing it, it all ready started to have a strong smell.  I just hope I didn't overdo it and waste the batch.  I can't afford to lose any staples this month.  I have less than $100 left to get me through March.

2 comments:

  1. Very cool I'm going to have to try this for myself! You'll see the video when I do I'm sure.

    Bless,

    -BE :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool! I'll be looking for it on youtube. Thanks for the comment!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment! Your thoughts are always appreciated.